The Graduate School of Economics at Hitotsubashi University invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor position, a tenured associate professor position, or a full professor position, starting on April 1, 2020 or September 1, 2020.
We are interested in candidates with research interests in Asian Economic History. The rank of the selected candidate will depend upon the candidate's qualifications.
|1.Title||Full Professor, Associate Professor, or Assistant Professor in Asian Economic History|
|2.Department||Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University|
|3.Fields||Area: Social sciences
Discipline: Economics (Asian Economic Hitory)
|4.Number of Positions||One|
|5.Employment status||The term of the initial contract of a tenure-track assistant professor is three years and, depending on academic work, the contract can be renewed once for two more years. The tenure decision will be made within the five years on the basis of academic work such as publications in refereed journals and teaching performance. If candidates have sufficient academic work, the appointment can be as a tenured associate/full professor.
The successful candidate will teach mainly Asian Economic History for graduate students and Economic History for undergraduate students. In addition, s/he will be expected to teach core course subjects (Comparative Economic History for undergraduate or graduate students and Introduction to Economic History for undergraduate students ).
A tenure-track successful candidate is expected to teach at least 4 classes (8 credits) in one academic year on the basis of the candidate's qualification. Note that each class meets 13 times (105 minutes each) twice a week under an academic quarter. A tenured successful candidate is expected to teach at least 3 classes (6 credits) in addition to undergraduate and graduate seminars. Administrative duties include shared responsibility for committee membership and entrance examinations.
Requirements for the position:
(1) Ph.D. degree or complete it within three months after the time of appointment.
(2) Fluent communication skills in English
(3) Candidate must have ability to advise students and to perform administrative tasks (such as producing documents and participating in meetings) in Japanese.
|7.Starting date||April 1, 2020, or September 1, 2020.|
|8.Deadline for application||August 30 (Friday), 2019 (Japan Standard Time).|
|9.Application materials||Applicant should include
(1) a cover letter indicating position (a tenure-track assistant professor position, a tenured associate professor position, or a full professor position)
(2) curriculum vitae, in English or Japanese, with a recent photograph attached
(3) a list of academic works (please specify peer-reviewed publications) and presentations, and educational activities
(4) at least two reference letters of recommendation by supervisors or mentors
(5) a copy of a certificate of the completion of the degrees earned
(6) electronic files of research papers (Maximum three papers for a tenure-tracked assistant professor position/ Maximum five papers for a tenured associate professor position, or a full professor position).
Reference letters for a candidate without (5) should explain the state of the Ph.D. thesis to show that the candidate will complete the Ph.D. within three months after the time of appointment.
Please send the application packet as a single pdf file to history-rec2019@econ with the subject line "Application for Asian Economic History." The two letters of recommendation should be directly sent to the above email address. Please note that we will not return your application documents. These documents will be used only for selecting a qualified candidate.
|10.Selection process||(1) First stage: Document screening.
(2) Second stage: Seminar Presentation and interview. Please note that applicants should bear their travel expenses and cost of hotel stay for seminars and interviews.
Search Committee (Asian Economic History)
Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University
2-1 Naka, Kunitachi, Tokyo 186-8601, Japan
e-mail : history-rec2019@econ
(Please contact us either by e-mail or regular mail. When sending an e-mail, please use the headline "Inquiry: Position in Asian Economic History").